Sunday, June 12, 2011

Love as I Loved

Saturday, June 11, 201

by Dr. Paul Chappell
 
"As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. These things I command you, that ye love one another."
John 15:9-17
Loving others as God loves you isn't an option-it's a command.

In the May 2, 1962 edition of the San Francisco Examiner the following shocking advertisement ran:
"I don't want my husband to die in the gas chamber for a crime he did not commit. I will therefore offer my services for 10 years as a cook, maid, or housekeeper to any leading attorney who will defend him and bring about his vindication."
Reading the paper that morning was one of San Francisco's most well-known attorneys, Vincent Hallinan. Moved with compassion by the wife's plea, he decided to take on her husband's case. He contacted Mrs. Gladys Kidd, who had placed the ad, and learned of the story behind the newspaper blurb. Kidd's husband, Robert Lee Kidd, was about to be tried for murdering an elderly businessman. The only evidence the prosecution had was Kidd's fingerprints on the blood-stained sword in the businessman's antique shop. During the trial, Hallinan proved that the fingerprints were a result of Kidd examining the sword once before, but he decided not to purchase it. It was also proven that the sword did not kill the antique dealer. After eleven hours of deliberation, the jury found Kidd not guilty. Mrs. Kidd kept her promise of ten year's service to the attorney, but Hallinan refused her offer and let the Kidds continue life in peace.
Being one of San Francisco's most prominent lawyers, Vincent Hallinan had a caseload that was larger than most firms had. He was employed by celebrity clients and large businesses. He owed the Kidds nothing and was under no obligation to take on their case, yet out of love he worked pro-bono to see justice done.
Such stories of love and kindness seem few and far between in our world today. As Christians, we understand the need to live a life of love, yet what kind of love are we showing to others? Consider the three types of love most people show.
No love. Perhaps you know someone in this category. Their heart is hardened and their capacity for kindness is limited. You may wonder if there is any love in them at all as their life is characterized by a cold bitterness.
Convenient love. This love will help others when the timing is convenient. They don't mind helping out, as long as it won't upset their plans. But should someone else require help during a busy time in their life, they ignore the request.
Sacrificial love. This is the love that drove Christ to the Cross. It's the love that says, "What I am doing doesn't matter in light of someone else's need." It's the love God talks about in John 15, "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love."
Evaluate the love you show others. Are you willing to sacrifice your schedule, your plans, your desires to help someone else in need? Realize that giving of yourself for others isn't an option-it's a command from God. Love others today as God has loved you.

No comments:

Post a Comment