Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Believer's Persuasion

Friday, June 10, 2011
by Dr. Paul Chappell

"For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him."
2 Corinthians 5:1-9

It is not enough to say you believe; you must show your belief.

What is living by faith? Is it the simple belief that God can perform a certain task? Is it saying you believe in God's power to provide? A preacher once made the following observation about faith and illustrated the idea of a dead faith:
"It is that kind of faith which would lead a man to take a bottle of medicine from his medicine cabinet. Looking at the instructions on it, he says, 'I'm sure they're correct. I have all confidence in the source of the medicine. I know who wrote these directions. I believe everything about it. I know this will relieve my headache, if I just take it.' But he takes the medicine bottle and puts it back on the shelf. He doesn't lose his headache. It continues on. Yet he can say I believe that medicine. I believe all about that medicine. But still he won't take it. That's dead faith."
True fait requires action. As Christians, there are a few persuasions we must hold to each day and seek to live out in our lives.
I live by faith. Second Corinthians 5 puts this principle as plainly as possible, "For we walk by faith, not by sight." Living by sight means believing the provable, obeying the easy, and following the evident. Yet God calls us to a higher means of living. He calls us past what is easy and into what is difficult.
Missionary Hudson Taylor once commented, "Many Christians estimate difficulties in the light of their own resources, and thus attempt little and often fail in the little they attempt. All God's giants have been weak men who did great things for God because they reckoned on His power and presence with them." Living by faith means not only believing that God can provide, but acting on that belief, stepping out into the realm of the unknown and trusting His guiding hand.
I live because of His love. Perhaps the greatest lesson we can learn from the Cross is the need to love others. Jesus died amidst a crowd of people mocking and blaspheming Him. It was actually their blasphemous words that caused His death. He was dying to forgive them.
If Christ can give His life to forgive those who wronged Him, can we give love to those who mistreat us? The story of salvation is the ultimate picture of love, forgiveness, and redemption. As God's children, we must live in light of the love shown at Calvary and display that love to others-even those who would hate us.
You are dead to self and to this world. Now that you're dead, you must be alive to God's work. Hold fast to the above persuasions. Seek to daily walk in faith and love. Not only trust God, but step out in faith. Decide to put your faith to work. Also, live a life of love no matter who you come across. Both these attributes are characteristics of a life that pleases God.

No comments:

Post a Comment