Wednesday, June 8, 2011

~It's Not About Me~

Wednesday, June 8, 2011
by Dr. Paul Chappell

"For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."
Galatians 2:19-21

Your life has such a greater meaning than your own plans could ever fulfill.
Alfred Nobel is best known for the prize that bears his name. This award is given to those who encourage peace and stability in the world. Yet Nobel's life wasn't always about peace. You see, before he established the award, Nobel was a famed maker of dynamite. His work was used in mining, exploring, and even for evil purposes. But his life was changed one day when he awoke to read his own obituary in the town newspaper in 1888.
Nobel was shocked that morning as he read of his own death. His brother had died the night before, and the reporter had mistakenly written that Alfred was the dead Nobel. His shock soon turned to curiosity as he wondered what was said of his life. In the short article, Nobel was described as the "Dynamite King" and much was made of his industrialism in the world of explosives. The words were a stark realization for Nobel. The world saw his life as solely dedicated to a devastating craft when Nobel had many other endeavors about which he wished people to know.
As he read his obituary with horror, he determined that he would not be remembered solely as an instrument of destruction. He resolved to make clear to the world the true meaning and purpose of his life. He used the remaining portion of his fortune to establish the Nobel Peace Prize-an endowment of five annual proves for outstanding contributions in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, and peace. (The sixth category of economics was later added.)
Imagine waking up one morning and finding an obituary for your life in your local paper. Truly, shock would overcome you, yet realize that God calls us to write our own obituary each morning. Not an obituary of our physical lives, but as He explains in Galatians 2, an obituary of our will.
Paul explains this idea when he said, "For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." After salvation, we are no longer held captive by our fleshly desires. We are not resigned to obey the devil's wishes. God has given us new life, and we are dead to our old ways.
Though we are dead to our flesh, we can sometimes live as if we are still enslaved to sin. Realize that you are dead to the devil's temptations. You have a new life and no longer live for self. You now have a higher calling and a higher purpose for life. This life is no longer about you.
To live in such a light takes a daily dying to self. Through our own will, we would follow selfish desires, yet through God's help we can live each day in His will. Have you written your obituary this morning? Did you consciously reject selfish desires and commit to following God's plan today? Don't assume that choosing God's will over your own will comes easily. Such a decision requires daily commitment and help from God.
Spend time right now writing your obituary. Die to whatever selfish desires are in your heart, and commit yourself to following God's plan. Remember that your life has such a greater meaning than your own plans could ever fulfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment